This delicious recipe is made of browned meat, layers of ingredients and flavorings set on slow cooker for a few hours.
* 16 oz (1 lb) ground beef, 96 % lean
* 2 c eggplant, diced (no need to peel it)
* 1 jar low-sodium marinara sauce
* 1/4 t red pepper flakes
* 2 t dried thyme
* 1 1/4 c water
* 15 oz. ricotta cheese, part skim
* 1 T parsley chopped
* 1/4 c egg substitute(or 1 egg white)
* 1 c shredded Italian blend cheese
* 6 lasagna noodles, dried, no boil variety
- In a skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat. Remove excess fat and mix in red pepper flakes, thyme, tomato sauce, eggplant and water.
- Mix egg egg substitute, ricotta, Italian cheese blend and parsley in a bowl then add enough meat sauce, covering the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place 2 to 3 noodles on top, covering the meat sauce. Make another layer and top it with the cheese mixture.
- Finally, add another layer using the meat mixture. Cover and leave it cooking over low heat for about 4 hours.
- Makes 8 servings.