My family can’t help but ask for seconds when we have this recipe served on our dinner table. It’s absolutely delicious and can make a great serving even for special occasions and gatherings.
* 4-5 large potatoes
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 large onion, thinly sliced
* 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1/3 cup flour
* 3 1/2 cups milk
* 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
* 3/4 teaspoon seasoned or plain salt
* 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
* light sprinkling of granulated garlic (optional)
* 4-6 slices smoked bacon, cooked
* 1/2 cup canned crispy onion bits (optional)
- Cook bacon in the microwave just until half cooked. Set over paper towels to absorb grease and pat it dry. Once cool, cut the bacon into bite size portions.
- Wash the potatoes and peel off the skin. Cut it into 1/2 inch slices.
- Boil water in a large saucepan and add a teaspoon of water once it starts to boil. Add the potatoes, pepper and onion. Cook for another minute and drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and mix in the flour and milk. Use a whisk for blending until the mixture becomes smooth. Cover and
- cook over low heat. Stir often as it cooks for another minute. Add the cheese and stir often until the cheese melts. Mix in 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Add bacon and mix.
- Place the mixture in a 2-qt greased casserole. Top with sprinkles of granulated garlic.
- Place the casserole into the 350 degrees F preheated oven and bake for about 40 minutes. Top with sprinkles of crispy canned onions. Bake for about 5 more minutes.