These are wonderful! One of my favorite meals. I use non fat cream cheese and non fat mozzarella cheese with a spicy jalapeno salsa verde sauce. Bursting with great flavor and low calorie also! A south of the boarder tradition.
- 2 large sized Pablano peppers
- 1 whole egg with yolk
- 2 egg whites
- Whole wheat or soy flour
- Green jalapeno salsa verde sauce (grocery store item)
- 1/2 a bag of fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz of fat free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbls. olive or canola oil
- Start by pre-heating your oven to 400 degrees
- Place your peppers in oven on top rack after oven is preheated
- Cook in oven for 15 mins (you do not need to turn them)
- Remove peppers and carefully place in a large zip lock bag
- Leave peppers in zip lock bag for 20 mins
- Remove peppers from bag and place on plate careful to keep stems from falling off
- Using a sharp paring knife, slit your pepper from stem to 1 inch from end. (Be careful not to cut through bottom layer of pepper.)
- I place my finger inside pepper and hold up the top layer a little to see that I am not cutting all the way through the pepper.
- Remove the seed pod that is attached to the stem and discard.
- Run a slow stream of water in your kitchen sink and very carefully pick up a pepper and hold under the stream to remove all seeds.
- Place pepper back on plate, slitted side up. Do this with both peppers.