We first made this pie a few months ago when we had some friends over for dinner. We picked key lime pie as it was our friend, Julia’s favorite kind of pie. The pie turned out so great, we thought we better share it on the blog.
Living on Vancouver Island, we don’t have much access to fresh key limes so for the recipe we used bottled lime juice. The taste of the limes is strong but not overpowering.
This is an awesome pie to enjoy this summer out on the patio.
Print Key Lime Pie Author: Adapted from Gimme Some Oven Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 25 mins Total time: 40 mins Serves: 12-14 Ingredients
For the crust:
- 1¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup key lime juice (fresh or bottled juice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until combined. Press mixture evenly on bottom and up sides of a 9 inch pie plate. Place in oven for 10 mins. Remove and let cool.
- While the crust is baking, whisk together the condensed milk and egg yolks until combined. Add lime juice and whisk for about a minute until mixture slightly thickens.
- Pour filling mixture into cooled crust and bake for 15 mins.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature. Then place in fridge for 3 hours to set.