Egg and pork don’t always go together. In fact, there are times when they don’t match well. This recipe offers you a unique way to blend in pork and eggs. This recipe is an extremely gratifying pork cake recipe.
* 1 salted (hard-cooked) duck egg, shelled
* 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon milk
* 1/2 head broccoli, cut into florets
1. Separate the white of the salted egg from the yolk. Mash the white with a spoon in a small bowl or blend in a food processor. Divide the yolk into four pieces and set aside.
2. In a medium heat-proof bowl, mix together the ground pork, salty egg white, regular egg, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and milk using your hands. The milk will make the texture smoother. Let stand for 15 minutes to marinate. In Chinese cooking, this is the best time to prepare the rest of the dishes for the meal and begin cooking rice.
3. Take the pieces of salted egg yolk and push them into the pork. Smooth the top of the pork until it is flat and even. Arrange broccoli florets around the outer edge of the meat.
4. Place the bowl in a steamer or in a large pot with a couple inches of water in it. Set over medium-low heat. Steam until the meat is browned throughout, about 30 minutes. Serve with rice. The yolk is the most coveted part of the dish. Ration it carefully! It is very salty, so it is best to eat the yolk a tid bit at a time with a larger bite of meat, mixed with a mouthful of rice. Enjoy!