A grilled pork tenderloin smothered in this delectable cherry sauce is a dish that’s hard to resist. The versatile sauce can be used for poultry dishes as well, especially grilled chicken or roasted duck.
* 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 1 cup red wine
* 1/4 cup minced shallots, or onions
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 2/3 cup chicken broth (stock)
* 1 cup dried cherries
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 1 tablespoon cold water
* 2 teaspoons lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 1 pork loin roast
* salt and pepper to taste
- Pour vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Let it come to a boil over moderate heat. Boil for 5 more minutes or until the mixture achieves a glaze-like consistency. Stir continuously.
- Mix in the wine, shallots and cinnamon stick into the mixture. Boil for another 20 minutes or just until the mixture comes to a quarter cup lesser, stirring often. Add the chicken broth and cherries. Leave it cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick. Mix in lemon juice, butter and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water placed in a small bowl. Add the cherry sauce, stirring it in a little at a time.
- Season pork with salt and pepper. Set over moderate heat to grill for about 16 minutes, turning once. Once done, place pork on a platter, cover with foil and leave it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the roast for serving and ladle it with cherry sauce.
- Makes 7 servings.