Alex and I are big fans of combining sweet and savory flavours. It’s hard to go wrong when chocolate and bacon come together in a yummy brownie. Throw in caramel and this dessert is ridiculously good!
Here’s the caramel and bacon soaking up each other’s flavours:
When you bite into these brownies, the texture is quite surprisingly moist as you wouldn’t know there isn’t any flour in them. The bacon bites are a welcome surprise as they add another texture to the brownie as well as a smoky flavour.
Enjoy pigging out on these brownies. Get it? Pig out…on bacon… I know what you’re thinking, we should just stick to baking
Print Flourless Caramel Bacon Brownies Author: Alex Recipe type: Brownies Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 25 mins Total time: 40 mins Serves: 16 Ingredients
For caramel sauce:
- 10 strips of bacon, chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
For brownie batter:
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup bacon fat
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1½ tbsp vanilla
- ¼ cup brewed strong coffee or espresso
- 1½ cup cocoa powder
- Cook bacon in frying pan without oil until crispy. Reserve ¼ cup of the bacon fat for the brownie batter.
- Cook sugar in medium pot over medium heat. Once the sugar starts to melt, swirl the pot a few times. As the sugar starts to turn amber in colour, swirl the pot a few times and take off heat.
- Add in the cream, very slowly, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, while constantly whisking.
- Return to medium heat and whisk in peanut butter.
- Set aside ¼ cup caramel sauce in separate bowl to use to pour over baked brownies.
- Allow remaining caramel to cool and then add in cooked bacon.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In large bowl combine brown sugar, bacon fat, and canola oil with electric mixer.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and coffee and mix together.
- Add cocoa powder and beat to combine.
- Pour brownie batter into greased 9X9 baking dish. Pour caramel sauce on top of brownie batter and swirl in with spoon or knife.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until batter is set.
- Use saved ¼ cup caramel sauce to pour over brownies.