For the last two days, it has been snowing non-stop here in Nanaimo. The roads are icy and full of snow, making it hard to go anywhere. So Alex and I decided to make a perfect recipe for a stuck at home snowy day.
Although the recipe has many steps, it comes together quite easily.
After Alex’s wife tried a piece, she declared “I feel like I’m in a warm blanket of cinnamon”. We think that sums up just how yummy this cake is!
Print Cinnamon Roll Cake Author: Adapted from Bakers Royale Recipe type: Cake Prep time: 25 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 45 mins Serves: 8 Ingredients
For the dough:
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
For the icing:
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 4 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 10 inch bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add cottage cheese, sugar, buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla. Process until smooth. Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pulse 8-10 times or until dough starts to pull towards the center and sticks together.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently, folding the dough over and pushing away from yourself 4-5 times.
- With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to make a 12 by 15 inch rectangle.
- Brush the rolled out dough with 2 tbsp melted butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves. Sprinkle mixture over dough, leaving a ½ inch border around all edges.
- Starting on the long end of the dough, roll the dough up, in a jelly roll style. Cut off small part of each end where it is just dough without sugar filling. Cut the roll into pieces.
- Set the first layer of cut rolls on the bottom of the bundt pan. Place the second layer against the outside walls of the pan.
- Bake the cake for 18-20 mins or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Transfer the cake to a large plate.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the glaze. Whisk together the icing sugar and milk. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and allow 15 mins for it to set.