For this hearty stew recipe, apples and the apple cider made it possible to enjoy tendered pork and veggies as well as make a very flavorful meal.
* 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
* 3 medium cubed potatoes (about 2-1/2 cups))
* 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1-1/2 cups)
* 2 medium onions, sliced
* 1 cup coarsely chopped apple (1 medium)
* 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery (1 stalk)
* 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
* 2 cups apple juice or apple cider
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* Celery leaves (optional)
- Cut the meat into cubes. Place it in a 3-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker, along with potatoes, carrots, onions, apple, celery and tapioca. Mix in the apple juice, salt, caraway seeds and pepper.
- Cook covered over low heat for about 12 hours or 6 hours over high heat. Use celery leaves as garnish, if preferred.
- Makes 8 servings.