The classic combination of ham and cheese cannot be rivaled by anything else. Nevertheless, this age-old tandem can be made even more special when it is topped off as a special treat for a special bread recipe.
* 1 (16 ounce) package hot roll mix
* 1 cup warm water (120 to 130 degrees F)
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
* 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
* 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
* 1 cup ricotta cheese
* 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
* 1 egg white
* 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the hot roll mix and contents of yeast packet. Stir in the warm water, egg and 1 tablespoon butter. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 5 minutes. In a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in remaining butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in ham, cheeses and parsley.
- 2. On a greased baking sheet, roll dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spoon ham mixture lengthwise down the center of dough. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2 in into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes or until almost doubled.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm and enjoy