Well, it’s finally here; Alex and I’s first recipe post! We wanted to do something unique so we thought we would try this delicious Blueberry Goat Cheese Basil Pie.
The pastry crust recipe that I (Jenn) used comes from my late Nana. Each time I make this crust, I also use her old rolling pin. I think it makes the crust taste even better!
Here’s Alex working hard on making the filling for pie:
The supplies needed to make the filling:
Henry and Matao hoping some food will come their way:
Here’s how the pie looked before going into the oven:
It’s hard to describe how yummy this pie turned out but I think this picture does a pretty job:
Print Blueberry Goat Cheese Basil Pie Author: Jenn & Alex (Filling recipe loosely based on Food Network recipe) Prep time: 20 mins Cook time: 40 mins Total time: 1 hour Serves: 8 A pie bursting with fresh blueberries, goat cheese and a refreshing hint of basil with a super flaky crust. Ingredients
For the pastry crust:
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup shortening (we used Crisco)
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
For the pie filling:
- 1 cup goat cheese
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup half and half cream
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 20 fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Cut in shortening till pieces are size of small peas.
- Add the cold water a little at a time, until the dough is moistened. Form the dough !into a ball.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. To ensure you have rolled out enough dough, place your pie dish over the dough and there should be an inch beyond the dish all around.
- Transfer the rolled out dough onto your pie dish. Fold the overhang dough underneath itself and either crimp the edge of the crust with a fork or use your fingers to pinch the outer dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine goat cheese, egg, brown sugar, half and half cream, salt, and basil leaves with electric mixer until smooth.
- Mix in coconut flour with a spoon.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Pour into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until crust is lightly browned and filling is set.
Notes 1. For the 20 basil leaves, we used ¾ of a basil plant purchased from our local grocery store.
2. If you use frozen blueberries, ensure to thaw them first and drain any liquid.