This is a desert that is healthy and low in fat, cholesterol and calories! Wonderful holiday smells anytime of the year. Your guests will never guess this desert is a heart healthy recipe and will be surprised when you tell them!
This recipe serves 2
- 2 med to lrg sized apples (Gala or golden delicious)
- 3 tbls crushed raw almonds (no salt)
- 1 tbls whole wheat germ
- 1 tbls dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nut meg
- 1/2 cup 100% no sugar added apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbls dark honey
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and almonds. Set aside
- Core your apples starting from the stem end down to the bottom. You can do this with a small sharp knife and a small spoon. Make sure all seeds are removed and you want a deep hole with a diameter around the size of a quarter. You will be filling these holes so make sure you have enough space cut out to do this. See video
- Take your apples and place them in to a small baking dish. Baking dish should be close to the depth of the apple itself and just big enough to fit your two apples side by side.
- Then take your brown sugar mixture and make sure it is mixed well, then begin stuffing the holes in the apples.
- Pack the mixture down tightly.
- Drizzle honey and canola oil over the apple stuffing.
- Then pour your water and apple juice in to the bottom of the baking pan not pouring over the apples.
- Either cover with tin foil or lid and put in to oven on top rack.
- Depending on the thickness of your apples, cook from 1 and 1/2 hours up to 1 and 3/4 hours.
- You want your apples to be very soft with the crunch pretty much gone! If they are not cooked long enough, they will not be soft like they would be in an apple pie.
- Transfer apples to serving plates and save liquid in bottom of baking dish for topping.