The great taste of bacon comes with caution because many people believe that bacons is quite fattening. You can indulge in bacon-based dishes, though, provided that you also partner it off with healthy treats. This bacon and veggie pasta is a perfect example.
* 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
* 2 cups broccoli florets
* 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
* 4 bacon strips, diced
* 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 16 ounces uncooked medium shell pasta
* 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until broccoli and carrots are tender.
2. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute the mushrooms, green pepper, onion and garlic until tender; add to tomato mixture and heat through. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in a serving bowl; top with vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with bacon and Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!